Theme 1: Making institutions child safe
Theme 1 of this Annual Report provides updates on measures taken by the Australian Government to implement recommendations to improve child safety within institutions. It covers recommendations contained in the following volumes of the Final Report:
- Volume 6 – Making institutions child safe
- Volume 8 – Recordkeeping and information sharing
- Volume 12 – Contemporary out-of-home care
- Volume 13 – Schools
- Volume 14 – Sport, recreation, arts, culture, community and hobby groups
- Volume 15 – Contemporary detention environments.
Theme 1 includes updates on the progress of the Australian Government in relation to:
- National Leadership, Policies and Frameworks, such as establishing the National Office for Child Safety and the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation; and implementing the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations and Child Safe Standards
- Strengthening Child Safety in Australian Government Institutions, such as the Commonwealth Child Safe Framework
- Making Contemporary Detention Environments Safer, such as implementing the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT)
- Education Sector Reforms
- Online Safety, and
- Better Access to Information.